I Need Help. ... No, Really!

>> Sunday, November 22, 2009

I have big dreams for my little ol' blog. Sure, I only get about 300 hits a month right now, but I figure there is potential for more if I do things right.

But that's the key: do things right.

So, I am asking the (few) people who read me for some opinions / help. A few things:


  1. Wordpress? Should I go switch over? I have used it some in my previous job, but just for basic posting. I have a feeling it's pretty self-explanatory, but so far I've had some problems getting my own started, mostly with the ...
  2. Theme? I want something custom, classy and contemporary. I made a header, but I'm not sure it's quality work. I'm a writer, not so much of a designer. Don't judge. ... I was under the impression Wordpress was free, but when I try to change the CSS it says I need to upgrade? Do I? Then what? Help.
  3. Is it a good idea to change my URL? Will I lose traffic? I plan to eventually buy pearlsandpolitics.com, but it's owned for a couple more months, although nothing is being done with it. Is this a good shift? Or should I stick with the free blogspot account?
As you can see, I'm clueless and ignorant. I need help. I want my blog to be top-notch - something people will want to come back to every day (like I do with Lauren from TexasRoots and Rings, and Sings the Magpie). I know appearance has a lot to do with recurring traffic - I don't return to ugly blogs.

So ... any help is deeply appreciated. I want to want to blog, but when I look at my pink, bubblegummish, teenagery theme, it makes me want to vomit.

Thanks, y'all.

2 comments:

Chelsea November 23, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

I prefer Wordpress because the stats are incredible. For instance, so dar this morning, I can see that 2 people have come to my site from yours.

I bought rootsandrings.com but I still have it showing as rootsandrings.wordpress.com. I bought it so that it's easier to tell people my URL. In my opinion, it doesn't matter. I think that if you're providing good content, people will come no matter what!

The quickest way to get readers is to be a good reader. I read you because you commented on my blog. Participating in blog carnivals (like Ten on Tuesday) brings people to your site.

Is that enough? I think I've rambled enough...

Lauren From Texas November 23, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

WordPress!!

Your blog is adorable as is. You can always change it later. I am with Chelsea - "If you write good content, they will come." It's true. I have a cheesy WordPress template and you still love my blog. ;)

Change the URL if you want. You can always set up a redirect (ask a techie if that sounds like Greek to you).

Hope this helps!

xo